- Lay a 3-1/2" x 7" piece of 2 mil window vinyl lengthwise on top of a 4-1/2" x 8" piece of Tear-Easy. With the edges matching, place a 7" piece of 1/4" ribbon on top of one 7" side of the vinyl. To help your presser foot move smoothly over the vinyl, with the ribbon and the plastic edges to
the left, place a 1" x 8" strip of Tear-Easy over the vinyl, butted up to the right edge of the ribbon not over it; do not stitch on this strip. Use an edge foot to stitch both long edges of the ribbon to the vinyl. Repeat for the other side of the vinyl, but only stitch the inside edge
(the other edge will be stitched when it is attached to the front).
- Remove all Tear-Easy, trim ribbon-covered window to 6" and place it 1/2" from the bottom of the embroidered "front". Use a regular sewing foot to baste both sides within the overcast edges.
- Place the closed 9" zipper, upside down lengthwise, across a 6" edge of the "back" fabric, with the bottom end of the zipper aligned with the right hand corner. Use a zipper foot to stitch them together 1/8" from the outside edge; the remaining 3" of the zipper hangs off the left side.
- With right sides together, stitch the top of the embroidered "front" to the other side of the zipper, 1/8" from the edge.
- Fold the wide grosgrain ribbon (for the pen holder) in half and place it on the right edge of the front, keeping the top of the ribbon even with the top of the embroidery; baste in place.
- Use an edge foot to stitch the second line of stitching on the bottom of the ribbon, 1/8" from the edge, creating a window pocket.
- Using the zipper foot edge as a guide and the center needle position, topstitch both sides of the zipper with a matching Sulky 40 wt. Rayon, then add another row of stitching below them using the left needle position.
- Place the cording just below the zipper on the right side of the "front" and pin in place allowing 2" to extend to the outside from each side (the bulk of the cording is heaped in the center of the front).
| Tip: Put tape along both bottom edges of the cording to keep them from raveling.
- Open the zipper to the middle of the bag and put the right sides together. With the "front" on top, start at the right top corner and stitch a 3/8" seam around the three sides of the badge holder, ending at the other side of the zipper. Be sure to start and stop by backstitching several
times within 1/8" of the zipper coils. Clip corners.
- Fold the 2" cord down along the 3/8" seam allowance and use a narrow zig-zag to stitch down the remaining length of the cording.
- With the zipper open, clip off the excess of the zipper leaving about 1" extending. Fold this remaining extension down 90 degrees and straight stitch it into the seam allowance. Turn right side out.
The pattern is scaled to fit on an 8-1/2" X 11" pieces of paper, though it might have to be rotated. If you wish to use a larger size, you can scale it up appropriately in your print dialog box or print it out as provided and enlarge it by some other means (copy machine, projector, local blueprint